Thursday, March 19, 2009

Yellow Dye, Red Dye, Blue Dye


I am really quite uninspired tonight. I cannot think of anything motivating , nothing I really want to research. I just don't feel like thinking much at all and am a bit sad as ER has only two episodes left. I do feel like I owe my blogging community some food for thought ,however so here you go. Just a little something to get you thinking, to help you understand why we have a saying here at the Goodman house, "If the color of your food does not naturally occur in nature, don't eat it." Do you know what those FD&C colors really are or how they are manufactured? Do you really want to know? I will quote it for you from my Food Additives book just so you know I am not making this up.



"FD &C colors are considered safe by the FDA for use in food, drugs and cosmetics; most of the colors are derived from COAL TAR and must be certified by the FDA not to contain more than 10ppm of lead and arsenic; certification does not address any harmful effects these colors may have on the body; most coal tar colors are potential carcinogens, may contain carcinogenic contaminants, and cause allergic reactions."

How did anyone even think of using coal tar in foods? How did anyone think it was OK to use anything that could contain any amounts of lead or arsenic in our food? Now, how are we letting our children eat this? Tell FDA it is not OK. Stay away from it. Boycott.

If you want to read more about food additives, check out this great little book called "Food Additives: A shoppers guide to What's safe and What's Not." Great light reading.

5 comments:

Tracey said...

Thanks for the info. I knew FD&C food colors were not good for the body but I didn't know why. Thanks!

Kara said...

If I read one more post about the "fun" mom who put green food coloring in everything their kids ate on St. Patrick's Day, I might have a break down. Please, please, please, it is so unecessary. Use spinach next year!

DK said...

Unbelievable!

RPH said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I am going to pick that book up.

The Evans Family said...

wow, very interesting. I had no idea. Thanks!