Friday, November 2, 2012

Overdoing it.

Over the past several years of blogging, my emails have been overloaded with women's health issues. I get many, many emails from women who have all sorts of "things" going on. The interesting thing is that many of these emails are from women who appear to be in great shape. Many of them work out, eat well and look great but on the inside, they are feeling like an 80 year old. Why? Could it possibly be that we are overdoing it a little? Are our bodies meant to be pushed to the limit? 

There has been a huge correlation between hypothyroidism and other thyroid disorders and too much cardio. I didn't understand why. I had a big group of friends with this issue after they had trained for marathons or started a rigorous training regimen. It has perplexed me and I chalked lots of it up to protein powders many were taking but many weren't. Anyhow, I saw this article posted by my friend on Facebook and was immediately intrigued. 

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/


Now, don't think I am here bashing running or training or anything like that. Heaven knows we need to work out and keep our bodies moving. However, as with anything, moderation is key. Some of us can handle more than others but not to the breaking point. We need to stop , listen, reevaluate and do what is best for us long term. There is a time in our lives where we will not look like a twenty year old. We can still be thin but we won't always have that tight body. It is just meant to be that way. 

I have done a little reevaluation about my thoughts on life lately as I hit my middle agedness. I had a period in my life where I was working out a good 6 days a week and felt great in my clothes. However, looking back, those couple years were probably my worst years of my life. I constantly thought about working out because if I missed a session, I might loose my shape. I also had horrible back spasms and neck issues. It was not worth it at all. 

My resolve now is to feel good for a long time. I don't want to ruin my joints. I don't want health problems. I don't want to be consumed with my image and obsessed with working out to fit into a size 2. Our purpose here is to help others in this life and we can't do that when we are sick or self absorbed.

Moderation. Always moderation. Work out without killing yourself. Eat right. Think good thoughts. Enjoy life. Don't overdo it. Don't stress out if you can't do all you want right now. Relax. Women are meant to be a little soft and to have some curves. Being overweight will never be healthy but stressing about being super thin isn't either. Find your happy medium and just do your best. Just take care of yourself so you can lead a long and happy life. Isn't that the main goal? It sure is for me. 


1 comment:

heather said...

Thank you for sharing this! Definitely interesting about too much cardio being counterproductive.