Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Real Peachy Dinner.....


Saturday was my day dedicated to getting the rest of the peaches off my tree and processed. I have frozen 18 bags of peach filling and still have plenty to go. So, tonight I decided we would be having a "peach theme" for dinner to use up a few more. I googled "Peach Recipes" for the main course and have to say that it was super delicious. It was a Grilled Chicken with a Chipotle Peach Glaze, Garlic Mashed potatoes, Roasted Veggies and Peach Cobbler. After fasting all day, this couldn't have been a better meal. It was very fast and I can't wait to use the glaze in other recipes. It reminded me of a similar dish from Tia Rosas that I have often reminisced about. Try this out. You can make it as spicy as you want. My whole gang loved it and the cobbler is so fresh and tasty. I don't use whole wheat on this, it is not meant to be a health food. You have to go a little crazy now and then! Here you go, wish I had pictures, it looked as good as it tasted.

Grilled Chicken with Chipotle-Peach Glaze
1/2 cup peach preserves (I used homemade peach jam)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped (not the whole can, just 1 and you can freeze the rest of the chile's for later)
1 tsp adobo sauce from can of chilies
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
8 chicken breasts or 12-14 tenders (I prefer tenders)
garlic powder
salt
pepper
cumin
In small sauce pan, mix preserves, lime juice, chile and heat over low heat until jam melts, stirring occasionally. Stir in chopped cilantro and set aside. Sprinkle chicken with garlic, salt, pepper and cumin and rub in. Grill chicken and baste with glaze the last few minutes. Save some glaze for the chicken when served. I served the chicken over the garlic mashed potatoes. I left the potatoes chunky, laid tenders over them and drizzled more sauce over that.

Fresh Peach Cobbler
1 1/2 cups fresh peaches, thinly sliced
1 C. Sugar, divided
1/4 C Water
1 egg
1 T. shortening
1 T. milk
1/2 cup flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
Preheat oven to 375. Combine peaches, 1/2 cup sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. keep peaches hot. With a fork, combine egg, 1/2 cup sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add milk. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Spread batter in prepared 11X7 baking dish. This will be thin. If you want to use a 9X13 size, increase this recipe by another 1/2. Pour peach mixture over top. This will be runny. Bake for 25-30 minutes. You can serve with ice cream or whipped cream but I like it plain.
Peach-a-licious!!!

No comments: