Sunday, January 18, 2009

90 days to 90 meals...... Meal #2 and #3

In continuing the 90 days of 90 meals theme, here are the next two meals for the month, or....come up with your own. I want a little more variety so I will add a few more so I can have 15 meals x 6 instead of 9 meals x 10, but here is a good and easy place to start. After I get these done, I will add another 15 meals for another 90 days, etc. These meals are very basic. Little amounts of ingredients, little cook time.These meals are meant as a starting point. If you ever need to rely on these as meals, they will provide. If we need to use these but can supplement other items like fresh produce, meat, etc, then these are a great platform for doing so. When rotating these items, I will add more but it is nice to know that if push comes to shove, I have the basics of a meal. Here are the next two menus:

Whole Wheat Tortillas with Black Beans and Spanish Rice


Black Beans: I keep dry beans and also beans in cans in case of power issues.
2 cans of beans per meal.

Spanish Rice:

2 T. oil
2 C. long grain rice
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 tsp minced garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
4 cups water

In medium sauce pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Brown the rice in the oil until there is a golden texture, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and stir in tomato sauce, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin. Stir in water. Cover and cook for about 20 min.

Tortillas:
recipe swiped off my new favorite blog "Hey good lookin' whatcha got cookin"
(Thanks, Kara) Check out her link to the right for more great recipes!

1 1/2 cup white flour
1 c. whole grain flour
1/3 cup Spectrum shortening, or whatever you have
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder or cumin (opt.)
1 cup hot water

Place flours, fat and seasoning(s) into mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with wire whips. Change to dough hook, start mixer and add water until dough pulls together. Add more white flour if dough is too wet. Let dough rest for 15 minutes. Divide into 12 equal pieces and shape into rounds. Roll out each round with plenty of flour or press in a tortilla press. Cook 45 seconds each side on high heat (450 degrees). Use a nice pan that holds heat so that you don't have to wait for it to come back up to temperature between cooking each one. Wrap in towel to keep warm and moist. Of coarse you can make any size you'd like, just make sure your pan is the right size to accommodate. Can make by hand if needed.

***I try to keep several bags of chips on hand and salsa. Most chips have a 2-3 month shelf life. I also have jarred jalapeno's and chipolte peppers to spice this dish up.


Meal # 2:

Marinara Sauce with Angel Hair pasta and Bread Sticks



1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce

1 bag of favorite pasta



Bread Sticks:

2 cups flour, white or half and half
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 T. olive oil
1 Tb. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1 egg yolk or half of dried egg
3/4 cup warm water


Place warm water, yeast and sugar in bowl. Let stand 10 minutes until yeast is bubbly.
Add olive oil and egg yolk and mix. Add 1 1/2 cups flour and salt. Mix and then add more flour as needed until still a little sticky but easy to handle.Knead for 6 minutes. Let rise until double. Roll out and cut into 12 pieces, then into 24 pieces. Roll into 8 inch sticks and place on baking sheet. Brush with egg white if available. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Baked for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown at 350.

This is a super basic recipe, nothing fancy but real easy to make and minimal ingredients. If anyone is needing to add dried eggs to their storage, see the link for
Preparing Wisely to the right. She has a large can, 78 eggs worth for $23. (I think)



Now
.....Times this all by 10 and here you go!






7 comments:

Diane... said...

Thanks Shari for the book!! also for your great postings!!! It's never too late for oldies like me to be reminded and to learn new things .... THANKS!!!

Morgan said...

Thanks, Shari! I love the 90 meal plan. Just wanted to share about chips: if they do go stale you can pop them in the oven for a few minutes and they are fresh again. I only "bake" the amount we are going to eat at the time.

Kara said...

Thanks for the plug :) These are great food storage meals. I can't believe I didn't realize...I need to get me some dried eggs!

Megan said...

Thanks Shari! This is awesome!

Nikki said...

I just got your blog from a friend. I like it. You do a fantastic job. Later on I must go through old postings. She was telling me about some natural stuff that you lick? Where do I find it on your blog? can you e-mail me please. nicholebillingsley@cox.net

melissa's life said...

This is off the subject of the post, but I remember you saying you used a certain oil on your face instead of moisturizer. What kind was it? Thanks!

melissa's life said...

My email is jepfamily@msn.com