Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Carribean Sweet Potato Salad.

I don't have a picture of this delightful fresh dish because I ate it at a dinner party this weekend, so imagine how pretty it is. I loved it so much that I even went home with the left overs. I love sweet potatoes, as long as they are not whipped with marshmallows. This was a great twist on the nutritional powerhouse; the sweet potato. Thanks to our great hosts - Taya and Mike Greenwald for sharing this with me. Yum!

Caribbean Sweet Potato Salad
2 Large sweet potatoes, baked until done but still slightly firm
1 can corn, drained or fresh or frozen , about a pound.
1/4 cup diced red onions
Dressing:
1/4 cup lime juice
3 T dijon mustard
3 T brown sugar
1 T finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small cucumber, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
Peel cooked sweet potato into 3/4 inch cubes. Add the corn and onion. Mix together the first 6 dressing ingredients. Toss dressing into vegetable mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Right before serving, add cucumbers and peanuts.
* I am going to try this roasting the sweet potatoes in olive oil first in cubes. We will see what this does to the texture. Either way, delicious!

No comments: