Thursday, August 20, 2009

Peanutty Slaw and Hot Tortillas


Peanut slaw and hot tortillas really have nothing in common but two things I just think you should know about. First, let's address the hot tortillas. If you are a local and haven't checked out the new Pro's Ranch Market in Mesa (Southern & Stapley), then you are in for a treat. I stopped by one day and was thinking I was just in for the regular ranch market type seen. What I saw was a feast for my eyes as well as a feast for my hungry Mexican Food belly. It was beautiful inside and full of everything you could need. There were stations everywhere; tortilla factory, fresh meats of every cut, I mean EVERY cut; including a whole cow head (the kids loved that), huge produce section, fresh juicing station, fresh cheeses, yogurts and even a restraunt. The bakery is simply scrumptious with coconut donuts that are just perfect. I could go on and on but the only negative I can say is that they don't carry organic food. However, unlike the regular American grocery chains, their bakery's , juices and salsa only contain REAL food. NO preservatives and fillers. It was
refreshing. Real Sugar, Real Cream, Real fruit. So, my friends, grab the kiddos and check it out. Don't forget to pick up some hot tortillas, especially the corn tortillas. They are the kind that actually fold without breaking like Rubio's. Enough said.


Now onto the next topic: Peanutty Slaw. I had half green cabbage left , a large carrot and a handful of peanuts that I had to use up. I can't stand to let things go to waste so I concocted this little gem up with last nights dinner of BBQ chicken and corn. It was delicious. I ate half the bowl. Cabbage is so good for you and will soon be growing in your gardens (right?) . Here you go!




Peanutty Slaw

2 C. shredded green cabbage
1 C. shredded carrots
1/4 C. chopped craisins
1/4 C. minced onion
1/2 C. chopped roasted peanuts


Dressing:

2 T. natural creamy peanut butter (If you are still using Jif, please email me your address so I can stop over and kick you)
2 T. cider vinegar
1 T. orange juice
1/2 C. mayo
1/2 t. ground black pepper
1 T. sugar, agave or sucanat (more if desired)

Whisk peanut butter, vinegar and Orange juice until creamy. Add mayo, pepper and sugar. Pour over salad and chill.

2 comments:

diane said...

I love the Ranch Market in Chandler, and have been wanting to hit up Pro's in Mesa. Thanks for the boost! I will (hopefully) get there in the next few weeks!

KatieZ said...

Have you seen Time Magazine's cover story on the state of food in America? You might find it interesting.