Monday, December 6, 2010

Lemon Cilantro Hummus

Snacks are always hard for me around my house. I am not a snacker at all but my kids are always hungry. 3 meals a day will never do. They come home from school acting as if they hadn't seen food in months. Since I don't have lots of boxes of processed snacks, snacks take effort. I think a snack should be a good apple or banana but they can only eat so many. I find that if I don't have something set out, they will reach for any quick, box type food they can find. I am trying to have good healthy choices set out. I try to have a smoothie to start with. Today I made some lemon cilantro hummus and some stove popped popcorn in coconut oil. I had lots of extra kids over and they devoured the popcorn. Only mine ate the hummus. It looked like foreign food to the others. I am sure they would have liked it if they only tried. I ate more than my share of the hummus. I used to always get the Lemon Cilantro Hummus at Fresh and Easy but the store next to me went out of business. I worked on this recipe and it tastes just like the little container I would purchase from the store. 

Hummus is  such a good snack to eat. It has protein and is low in fat. It is especially healthy with whole wheat pita's and some vegetables. It is about the easiest thing to whip together and you can make all sorts of varieties. To me, its one of those things you can eat too much of and get sick of so I take a break now and then. I am just off my break and could lick the whole bowl. I didn't, though. Manners.


Try it out. 


Lemon Cilantro Hummus

2 Cups cooked garbanzo beans or 1 can, drained
1/8 Cup tahini paste
1/4 Cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp cumin
3 T. Olive Oil
1 T. chopped jalapeno pepper. Use seeds if you want in hotter or use jarred jalapenos.
1/4 bunch chopped Cilantro, stems removed
1 clove minced garlic
1 tsp. Sucanat or other sweetener
1 tsp. Celtic or other sea salt

Combine all in blender and blend until smooth. Add more salt or lemon juice as desired. 

8 comments:

Aspiring Foster Mama said...

I have just recently discovered hummus. This sounds yummy.

Kate said...

I love you for figuring this recipe out! Thats my favorite hummus out there :) Thanks!

Linnea said...

Where do you find Tahini 'paste'? I ate Tahini from Trader Joe's when I was pregnant with my first, a lot of it. I haven't had any since. That was 7 almost 8 years ago. Mmm, still doesn't sound good. :) But I do love hummus!

Shari Goodman said...

I get mine in a tub from Sprouts.

Aspiring Foster Mama said...

Tahini is super easy to make too...sesame seeds, olive oil and a food processor.

Terri Burges Hirning said...

OMG! I made this yesterday (a half batch) and had to make a FULL batch today. I am addicted! And I would need an intervention if it weren't healthy!! Although it does go exceptionally well with organic blue corn chips, word to the wise! I made it extra spicy and I seriously cannot get enough!!! Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I just made this and it is amazing. It tastes better than the F&E version in my opinion. Thanks for sharing!
Sherri O.

Leah said...

I found your site while searching for this recipe. I just made it and it's soooo good. Thank you for posting this! Great blog! Thanks for all the health tips!