Saturday, August 21, 2010

Blueberry Corn Breakfast Cake



Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day and I eat it like a queen. I fill up in the wee hours of the day to kick my metabolism into gear. Skipping breakfast is one way to sabotage any weight program. Don't skimp but keep it whole grain and healthy. This is actually a low calorie breakfast and
one of my favorite breakfast cakes served around my house. You can make it as healthy as you want. Here is the basic recipe then you can step it up for better health per instructions:








Blueberry Corn Breakfast Cake

1/2 C. Yellow Corn Meal
1/2 C. minus 2 T. Whole Grain Flour
1/4 C. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. sea salt
1/2 C. buttermilk or kefir
1 egg
4 t. oil
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 C. fresh or frozen blueberries

Stir ingredients together except for blueberries. Pour into greased , round cake pan. Use a 9X13 if doubling. Top with berries and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

Bake at 425 for 25-30 minus or until lightly golden.
Serve with whipped cream.

****For better nutrition, you can soak overnight the flours and buttermilk or kefir or use sprouted flour. The corn can also be soaked in a pickling lime found in canning sections. You can use sucanat for the sugar or other preferred sweetener. I used sprouted Kamut flour, a personal favorite.

You can also make this gluten free by using a gluten free flour blend and adding 1 tsp. xanthan gum. It tastes great!



3 comments:

Debra said...

This Blueberry Corn Breakfast Cake looks amazing. I love all the ideas you added about soaking flours, etc. for better health. I can't wait to give these a try. Thank you:)

Cindy Thomas said...

We make this quite often at our house. Thanks!

Candice said...

this looks delicious! I'm going to go soak some grains and then make these in the morning and surprise my family! Thanks for sharing, and for writing about keeping healthy before and while pregnant!