Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The little blip called life.....


I have been reading a beautiful and uplifting book sent to me by my beautiful and uplifting friend, Miss Molly called " I am a Mother." It is written by Jane Clayson Johnson who was a former CBS Early Show Co-Host. It is a story about being a Mother and what that means. It is everything I need to be reminded about and a must have book for all of us to pull out now and then when we need a little reminder. As I was reading last night and again this morning, several quotes really touched me and made me ponder a few things. First of all, Earth. We fought to come down here. It is only a small blip of time in the grand view of eternity yet it is the one thing we all wanted to be a part of. We come here and things are hard. It is hard to understand why some are so afflicted with trials, why things like plane crashes and children with disabilities are necessary, but they are. There is a reason for all things even if it seems unimaginable at the time. But, the Lord sees a different picture. He knows what we can become not what we are. There is a quote by C.S. Lewis that paints the picture perfectly:

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that he is building quite a different house than the one you thought of- throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace"

I love that little lesson. Somedays I would just rather settle for the cottage. It is less work to build and a lot easier to keep up. But, I know that we all want to be the palace. Likewise, we all want our homes to be the palaces. The place of beauty and peace. I know it is worth all the hard work and sacrifices that we go through and I know that the Lord has his hand in it all. I also know that when the walls are being knocked down, we are never left alone. Thank goodness for that. Let us all hang on and see the big picture.

1 comment:

amy said...

Thanks Shari - I know it's true it's just hard to remember sometimes!!