Sunday, August 24, 2008

Our Closing Ceremony Dinner.....


Of course in honor of the Olympic Closing Ceremonies tonight in China, we just had to have a little Chinese food. I have been wanting to try out the Sweet and Sour chicken recipe on the "My Kitchen Cafe" blog and it did not disappoint. I rarely find a Chinese food recipe that I like at home but this was a crowd pleaser! I like Chinese food but don't like to go to restaurants because they use so much MSG. Making it at home you can put in just what you want. I used Organic Soy Sauce, (mostly, until I ran out and had to borrow some from a neighbor) and the other ingredients were just good pantry stocked items. There definitely is sugar in this but the rest of the dinner was quite healthy. The cinnamon rolls are even whole wheat with no frosting so I serve them with dinner. Somehow the frosting makes them seem like a desert so if I leave it off, I feel justified to eat it with dinner. I am the mom, I can do what I want. I use my whole wheat bread recipe for the cinnamon rolls using butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to roll them with. The recipe for the chicken says to bake for 1 hour but I made my chunks about 1 inch size and I only cooked it for 30 minutes. I will most definitely be making this again. Thanks Kitchen Cafe.....again!

And, for anyone else out there who is a little slow like me....I found out a little tip tonight that I just can't believe I didn't know. When I find a recipe on a blog, I never knew you could paste it to a word document and copy it. I know everyone else out there knows how to do this. But.....just in case you don't ,here you go and please don't laugh at me for just finding this out. Highlight the recipe you want to copy and right click. Click on copy. Open word and then click on paste. You can then change the font or do whatever you want to this recipe so you can put it in your neat little recipe binder. This sure beats my hand copied recipes I have been making. Duh.

And....a special thanks goes out to My dear sweet husband for making the beautiful fruit salad, Bryant , my oldest son for battering the chicken and Randi, my princess for cutting the veggies. Thanks guys! Love the help!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun! We also celebrated with fondue! Mike is in total denial about the Olympic's ending. I know it will take him a few days to delete all the recordings of the games off the TV. Poor guy:)

Laurie said...

Oh, seriously - I'm so sad the olympics are over! Do I really have to wait four more years for all the drama! ha ha...we had chinese food too. Have you tried Basmati rice? Eric loved it after coming home from Dubai and so we got some at Costco. It is soooo good. Espcially in Asian dishes. I'm pretty sure it is the kind of rice they use at Pei Wei's and PF Changs. Anyways, it really made a difference in the yummo factor!

Kendell's Crusaders said...

Here's something even better than cutting and pasting. Hp Print It! if you link onto this you can download the serivce which allows you to print whatever blog you choose. It will install it on your blog so others can print recipes, etc. by clicking on the printer icon it will have at the bottom of each blog post. Try it out. I'm very slow when it comes to computers and it was even easy for me.