Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What's for Breakfast?????


It is that time of year again for me to give my breakfast speech to any who have not heard it or don't abide by it. Are you ready? Here goes. You need it, your kids need it, your husband needs it. They need it to contain something that will actually make them feel good, something that is not in the shape of little neon green circles or chocolate brown balls. It needs to be something that will fill them up and start their brain. They need real food. Real grains. Real nutrition. Yea, not fruity pebbles, not cocoa puffs. That is a treat if anything. I know, it takes time. I know, some don't like breakfast but it IS the most important meal of the day. I have already blogged about this so if you want more pestering comments, go back and read. I will spare the long talk. I love breakfast. I never leave home without a great hot breakfast and I love to find new recipes. I get bored. I have posted quite a few breakfast recipes that you can find at the bottom under the "recipe" label. I have another one for you today that I love and many of you may have. If not, add it to the collection. Gingerbread pancakes. Delicious especially when topped with hot spiced apples. Pancakes are so quick to make. They also freeze well for those mornings when you just don't have the time or hit snooze a little too much. Get up just a little bit earlier and cook up something hot and tasty. I also feel that it is another way to gather the kids and look at them for a minute before they leave out the door in a hurry. They have to stop to chew and I find it is a great time to read scriptures to them when there mouths are too full to talk!

Gingerbread Pancakes

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp Ginger
1 tsp
Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Eggs
1 C. Buttermilk
1/3 C. Melted Butter
1/4 C. molasses


I have also been trying lots of new recipes from the Sisters Cafe and the Kitchen Cafe sites. I have loved everyone of them. To name a few that I tried this week; the Chicken and Spinach stuffed shells, Macadamia nut crusted chicken and the Heavenly peanut butter and chocolate cookies. I am not a cookie person but I made these last night and lets just say, I had to work extra hard at the gym today! I used all chocolate chips instead of peanut butter chips. The whole house loved them. Make them only when you have plenty of people or neighbors to help you eat them. They are that good.

No comments: