Monday, February 22, 2010

Hot Fudge and Caramel Sauce.


Let me first warn you, there is nothing at all healthy about this post. My SIL just called and wanted me to give her my hot fudge and caramel sauce recipes. I thought it would be nice if I just shared it with everyone. I mean.....we can't be healthy all the time and it is homemade, not the bottled up plastic versions. For me, these sauces are drinkable. The ice cream is just the means to get to the sauce. The more the merry. Unfortunately, my older, more mature stomach can't handle the cream well so it is a rare occasion I make this. Serve this at a party and you are a hit. The smell is just too much to handle. OOOOH, hot fudge. I miss you so.


Hot Fudge Sauce

3/4 C. semisweet chocolate pieces
1/4 C. butter
2/3 C. Sugar
2/3 C evaporated milk

In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter. Add the sugar, gradually then stir in milk. Bring to a boil stirring constantly then reduce heat. Boil gently over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Serve warm over ice cream. Makes about 1 1/2 Cups sauce.

Caramel Sauce

1/2 C. packed brown sugar
1 T. cornstarch
1/3 C. light cream
2 T. light corn syrup (I know, horrible. moderation girls)
1 T. butter
1/2 t. vanilla

In a saucepan mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in 1/4 c water. Stir in cream and corn syrup. Cook and stir till bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm over ice cream or with fruit.

8 comments:

Kara said...

IY, YI, YI! Shari??

BTW I have my new class schedule up on my blog, if you wouldn't mind :)

Also, how well does the word verification do with spam? I have been getting loads.

RPH said...

Good to know you are human and like to partake of the junk once in a while.

I like your style Shari, and I will have to try this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Shari. I've always wanted to try to make my own chocolate sauce.

diane said...

I think we should have a party, and you should make this. =) How's that for selfish? And honestly, it is just an excuse to get together again. A sweet, delicious excuse.

Huish Family said...

That is what I love about you!! You know when to take the gloves off!

Jenson Family said...

This is my kind of post, Shari! Rock on.

Julie said...

I have been looking for a yummy, homemade, hot fudge sauce. One without all the junk you find in the store bought brands (High Fructose Corn Syrup, hydrogenated oils, etc..) It might not be healthy, but it's healthier than the alternative. Can't wait to try it!

Annabeth said...

I couldn't believe I had really gone onto your site with the picture that loaded!! Do you even OWN corn syrup?!

I'm sure there's a caramel sauce recipe out there-somewhere-without it. =) But yours looks delish!