Thursday, January 12, 2012

Breakfast.....Rosemary Potato and Kale Frittata.

I love frittata's. They are a perfect way to clean out the fridge. It can be a breakfast or a dinner, vegetarian or carnivorous. They are simple and colorful. 


I happened to have lots of potatoes that needed to be used along with a garden full of Kale and a huge bush of rosemary. Perfect. Rosemary is intoxicating. 


If you haven't really done the frittata thing before, here is the easy low-down:


Saute your veggies in butter or oil of choice until just tender. Onions are a must. I finely chopped some white onions, finely sliced some Yukon gold potatoes and sauteed those until tender. Then, I added a couple of sprigs of chopped rosemary and some chopped up kale. I admit I did add a sprinkle of crumbled bacon for a little more flavor but that is totally optional. I then sauteed that just another minute to release the flavors and to wilt the kale. 


When veggies are done, salt and pepper to taste and arrange in an even layer in the fry pan. Make sure there is still enough butter or oil so they will not stick. I used about 8 eggs to cover my veggies. Whisk eggs first and pour evenly over veggies. Turn heat down to low and salt and pepper the top. I also shredded some Parmesan on the top. Cook on low until the eggs are no longer runny. You can also put it in the oven if you have an oven-proof pan towards the end but I usually just cook it stove top. Don't overcook! If the pan is too hot, you will burn the bottom. Slow and steady.


Remove to a plate and serve in pie wedges. If I had my wish come true, this would be served with some fruit and a cinnamon roll. Perfect.

2 comments:

Jami said...

This sounds amazing! Going to have to try something like it.

Linda said...

Looked so delicious I had to try ~ with what I had on hand. It was superb! Today was a second go round ~ uniquely its own, yet delish, again! We can do so many things with this idea ~ Thanks for sharing!!!