Monday, May 18, 2009

The Summer Garden

I have received a few emails about wanting to see my garden that I talk so much about. I do love it. It is my pride and joy along with my children, of course, of both whom I have nurtured and raised from seed. So, here is a little of my garden tour.


The dwarf peach tree, that isn't so dwarfish, deserves some mention. It is the prominate feature along side the garden. The birds love the peaches which is a good thing in a way because it keeps them out of my garden. Who wants to nibble on tomato's when you can peck at a delightful peach? Once again, we have a million peaches, unfortunately small, but nonetheless, we have eaten them for weeks now in every imaginable dish. Still not sick of them. Cobblers, muffins, glazes, granola, salads, etc. So many ways.

Can you tell what this is? Check out the little brown lump in the ground. It is a potato. Ever so cute. This is my first potato ever grown by my own little hands. There are clusters of them. Ever so cute.

The pepper plants. The question from one of my fellow EH's asked about growing peppers in AZ. Yes, it is hot. Yes, they get scorched and brown. My trick, my summer garden is in "canopy" style. That means that the plants are a bit crowded to let the leaves shade each other. This cute little plant is partially under the canopy of a zucchini plant. The big leaves help shade it so that the pepper can grow, burn free. It gets plenty of sun.
The big picture. You just can't do it justice with a picture but here it is. The summer garden is a messy one. I prefer the neat lines of the fall garden but the summer garden must be shaggy. I just planted a new zucchini plant so that when the older zucchini plant stops producing, plant #2 will take over its job. If you have a space, add a plant. I also have a couple mystery plants that have popped up from my mulch. It is either cucumber, melon or squash. We are so excited to see what kind of plant baby we have. The kids check it daily.
Last photo: Last nights side dish. Garden biscuits. Don't tell, they were made with white flour. I just had too. A good biscuit just isn't the same with wheat flour. This biscuit is a good way to use up some of your garden fresh herbs.

Garden Biscuits

2 t. yeast
2 1/2 C flour
1 T sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 C shortening, I use spectrum palm shortening
1/4 C finely shredded carrot
2 T snipped fresh parsley
2 T. finely chopped green onion or chives
1 C. buttermilk

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 2 T. warm water. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Use a pastry blender and cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in carrot, parsley and green onion. Make a well in center of lour and add in yeast and buttermilk. Use a fork, stir until just moistened. If too wet, add a little flour but keep moist and sticky. Turn onto well floured counter. Knead 8 times. Roll out 1/2 inch thick . Cut into desired biscuit size. (mini biscuits are great!) Place on ungreased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes or until golden.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Your garden looks fabulous!

Marilyn said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I love to see what other AZ gardeners are doing. It is so different here.

RPH said...

Your garden looks great! And those little spuds are exciting!

Thanks for sharing that recipe too.

Brian and Aubrey said...

Do you have any recommendations for a jam recipe ( Strawberry)? I don't have a pressure cooker/canner.