Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Officially soup time

I stepped outside this morning to water my crops and felt the unfamiliar chill of cold cement. When did this happen? It was truly overnight. Even though I have been making soup all summer, it is now officially soup weather. I love soup. I use it as a way to clean out the fridge. Anything goes in soup. There are really little rules to go by. Just chop it all up, throw it in some broth, add some spices and maybe some cream and dinner is done.

I love the Zuppa Toscana soup at Olive Garden and this recipe pretty much nails it. Other than the fact that you must use sausage; it is healthy and warms the soul. Pick your sausage well. I haven't been able to find organic sausage but at least Sprouts makes theirs fresh from natural ingredients. I haven't made my own yet and probably won't since I rarely use it. This soup is worth eating sausage. My kids thought so too.


Zuppa Toscana Soup

1 lb ground Italian sausage
1 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
1 large diced onion
4 T. crumbled bacon
2 tsp garlic puree
32 oz. chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb sliced red potatoes, peels on, sliced about 1/4 inch thick and cut in half if too big
1/4 bunch of kale


Cook sausage and red pepper in pot. Drain fat and remove the sausage. Set aside. In same pan, saute onions, bacon and garlic over low-medium heat until onions are soft. Add chicken broth and heat until it starts to boil. Add potatoes and cook until soft. Add more water if needed. Add in cream, sausage and Kale and heat through. Add salt and pepper as needed. 

****I did this in my pressure cooker after I sauteed the onions. I added the broth and potatoes and pressure cooked for 1 minute. I then added the sausage, bacon, cream and Kale and heated through. Saved about 20 minutes.

1 comment:

Kitchen Recovery said...

You can throw anything in there with good broth! I'm excited to get back into soups. I haven't been making them as much in the last little while, because I kind of got my family on soup burn out from making it too much!
But it is the perfect season for warm, comforting soups. Your recipe looks yummy!