Sunday, July 4, 2010

Taking a little "Herb Stop"


This weekend our family took a little vacation to the family cabin in Pine. I have to admit, I was excited to go for more reasons than quality family time and cooler weather -- I wanted to stop by my recent find last fall.

There are only a few little shops in Pine and one day while strolling down the "main street" of Pine, I decided to pop into the "Herb Stop". I expected a store full of hippies and hookas but instead, I entered a shop with my name written all over it. There were a couple of moms discussing what herbs to take for increasing her milk supply and a couple more looking at the natural face creams. Then, to my wondering eyes did appear, a wall full of spices and herbs for culinary delights! Oooooh, Aaaaaaah. I was in Enlightened Homemaker heaven. How did I pass up this little gem so many times before?




It got even better. Many of the herbs and spices were organic and on top of that, the prices were amazing. There are no fillers or preservatives. There were more bottles than my eyes could take in. My favorite part is the blends that they have created. I love to buy herbs and spices in a mix that can easily be sprinkled on any genre my heart desires. I am a girl of flavor. I need spice in my life. I need variety. What better way to fulfill my culinary desires than with a little sprinkle of Chipotle Salsa seasoning or Cajun spice?

We pulled up to our cabin, unloaded the vehicles and as quick as I could get the kids settled, I headed out the door to get my fix. They have added even more.

I bought a heavenly Apple Pie dessert seasoning that I just can't wait to put on my baked apples and muffins. I bought an amazing Indian spice blend to go in some lentils and curries. An herb and garlic sprinkle for some roasted veggies and a new Cajun blend, to name a few. I left the shop with complete sensory overload but with recipe concoctions flowing through my little head.

The good news is, my little Enlightened Homemaker friends, you can buy these goodies online! Hooray! Just link to them here and shop away.

If you want to try something out that I made with their Herbs de Provence tonight, take a gander below. They are almost more than a girl can bear. They didn't help my beach bound body in any way but are the best darn breadsticks on this planet. No kidding.


Herbed Breadsticks

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 T. yeast
2 T. sugar
1 cup soft white wheat or white flour. ( I used ground kamut and sorghum)
2 1/2 C. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 T. butter
Herbs of choice
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients, except butter, in a large bowl or mixer. Mix for 6 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Leave still a bit tacky, adding extra flour if needed. Let dough rest for 10 minutes. Roll into a large rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Use a pizza cutter and make 1/2 inch strips by about 6 inches.



Pour melted butter into a jelly roll pan. Grabbing both ends of the dough strip, twist a couple times and place in the pan. This makes about 26 breadsticks. Using a baster, spread a little butter on the breadsticks from the pan just to moisten. Sprinkle with crushed herbs of choice and fresh grated Parmesan cheese. No powdered cheese!

I have made these with half whole grain and half white flour. I wouldn't do more than that. These are a treat so go all out! I used my sprouted Kamut flour and it was perfect!


Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. Eat while warm with a great big salad and some pasta. We had some baked spaghetti to dip our breadsticks into. I ate far too many. Oh, so worth it!


5 comments:

Tirsa Baker said...

My parents live in Pine and my mom just told me about this store. She was so happy to find it and wanted to tell me about their natural makeup they sell. After visiting with us for a week and seeing our lifestyle change, they took home some new ideas about living a more natural life. I will have to go see it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Tirsa Baker said...

I have to admit that I haven't gone in there either on our many trips up there because I had the same misconception you had. Sad day.

Laurie said...

I used to go to that store YEARS ago when I worked. They have one in Phoenix near 24th & Camelback (or at least they used to). Back then it really was just an Herb Stop, just tubs of herbs and basic homeopathic stuff. They are the ones who first introduced me to tea tree oil for my face! Thanks to them, Eric has had to sleep next to my tea tree smellin' face for a long time!

Andrea said...

Great recipe! I made these today. Super easy and turned out great! Thanks for the great recipe!

Herb Stop said...

Thanks so much for the post and referral! @ Laurie, we did have a store on Camelback but that did close and we are just in Pine, AZ or Ruidoso, NM. You can always find us online at www.HerbStopOnline.com or we can mail order to you if you call us at 877.345.HERB. Thanks again Shari for the wonderful post! You're food looks delish!