Saturday, July 31, 2010

Waffle Time

I love waffles. I love crisp, thick, chewy waffles. My $70 rotating Waring Pro waffle maker died a few months ago despite all efforts to save it. I loved it so. I wanted to replace it but after doing some internet reading, turns out the newer Waring Pro's aren't holding up so well. I decided to just buy a cheaper one to see if it would pacify me. It went back to the store after the first use.

Two months later, I still didn't have a waffle maker. I asked for one for my birthday. My husband, a devout researcher of products, found out that the Presto flip waffle maker was holding up to peer evaluation across the board. He prodded the kids to get it for me for my birthday. I hadn't seen this design before. You pour the batter onto one side, close then flip over .

I used it and sorry Waring Pro, it takes the cake; or shall I say, the waffle. It usually goes for about $70 as well but I checked Amazon and they have some amazing deals on all waffle makers right now. Check out the link to the right. You can get it for under $40. Super hot deal. Too bad the kids didn't know about that!

We had a lovely waffle breakfast this Saturday morning; whole grain Spelt and Sorghum topped with the sinful buttermilk syrup. Yum. I missed it so.

Here is my favorite blender waffle recipe in case you don't have it.

Blender Waffles


1 C. Whole grain kernels (not flour), Kamut, wheat, sorghum, spelt, etc.
1 C. Milk, buttermilk or Kefir
Blend on high until smooth.

ADD:

1/2 C oil
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
3 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp salt.


Blend again until all mixed.

**Spelt makes an exceptionally fluffy waffle. Kefir makes it a little sourdoughish, a personal favorite of mine. You can mix the first two ingredients, using kefir or buttermilk and let it soak overnight or use your sprouted grains for better nutrition.
(Sorry, forgot to add this to my original post, thanks for reminding me Kara!)

For the yummy Buttermilk Syrup recipe, check out my post here.

11 comments:

Kara said...

And that recipe would be so easy to soak overnight and be even better!

Shari Goodman said...

It is great soaked but I like it even better with my sprouted grains. YOu can even make it without drying the sprouts, just use a little less liquid.

Shari Goodman said...

Thanks for reminding me to put this down, Kara. I just typed my original recipe, forgetting how I adapt it now to my better way of eating! Miss your posts! Time to get off vacation.

Shannon said...

Hi Shari-

I just got caught up on your blog and read about your preschool. My little guy just turned 3 the end of July. I have decided to hold him back so he is not the youngest in his grade. I have been looking for something little for him to do to give something to look forward to. If you have anymore openings in your preschool would you please email me and let me know.

Thanks,
Shannon Crandall
Shannoncrandall6@yahoo.com

melissamarchant said...

Sounds super yummy. Can I have the buttermilk syrup recipe?

Shari Goodman said...

Melissa,

I added the link to the buttermilk recipe post at the end of this waffle post. Thanks for the reminder.

Annabeth said...

It can be so confusing--so many options. Soaked flour, soaked grains, sprouted flour....they all have different methods and probably different recipes, too.

Well, last night I thought I'd give it a try and here's the recipe I made up. It was pretty tasty this morning.

overnight:
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups water
3 Tablespoons lemon

Added in the morning:
5 eggs, hand mixed before adding
1/2 c oil (didn't measure)
3 Tbsp sucanat (to offset any lemon tartness)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp baking powder (I mixed the dry ingred together before adding to prevent clumping)

Mix well. I thought last night that I would end up adding some almond milk this morning, but there was enough liquid with the eggs and oil and I didn't add any more liquid.
The only complaint I have against soaked flour is that it is SO gloopy! It is definitely a workout for the muscles to stir it.

So, how would this differ if I was using sprouted flour? I wouldn't have to soak it overnight, right? So it wouldn't be gloopy?

Shari Goodman said...

I prefer using the sprouted flour to avoid the glopiness factor. I have heard it is better than soaking anyways. I like the waffles using the whole kernels in the blender so you don't even have to grind it first. I just sprout them, dry them and put them in the blender. I also have gone to pretty much using the sprouted flour completely and not soaking unless it is oatmeal. It tastes much better.

Terri Burges Hirning said...

I will have to check this one out right now! I have been looking for a waffle iron without teflon (PFOA) coatings.

Shari Goodman said...

Sorry, I am sure this is Teflon coated. I won't use this for Tate but the rest of us are just going to be teflon poisoned. The only non teflon ones I found were the iron ones that go on the stove. Didn't work very well.

Cindy said...

We just made these for Easter brunch. We used half wheat and half spelt and used coconut oil. We had fresh strawberries and whipping cream on top. The whole family said they were the best waffles they have ever had.
Thank you so much for this recipe!