Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bountiful Baskets

I taught a class tonight and one of the girls told me about this produce co op. I have heard about one before but you had to take turns going to Phoenix. This is a great deal and I am so excited about it that I just had to come right home and blog about it. Check it out at bountifulbaskets.org. Here is the skinny. There are several drop off locations all over the valley. Sorry if you don't live in AZ, plug your ears. The drop offs are every two weeks and you go online and purchase what you want. The produce basket, laundry basket size, is full of fruit and veggies, all varieties that are purchased in bulk like the restaurants do. That's why it is so cheap. You get the whole basket for 15 bucks! About $50 worth of produce. You don't know what you will get which I think is half the fun. The challenge will be to use all of it. You can also order great breads for only $2 and even no hormone or antibiotic cheeses and even raw milk cheese for really cheap. You place your order then make sure you pick it up at the designated time. If you come help volunteer for an hour, you can even get extra free stuff. The first pick up is on the 19th so place your order soon. There is a location right by me. I can't believe I didn't know about this! They are even going to have organic soon. I will die and go to heaven. So , jump on the website and place your order.

Stay tuned....Tomorrow is Safe Food Friday!

4 comments:

Abby Runyan said...

Hey, I just got back from the Defeat Autism Now conference in New Jersey. Have you been to one? IF not you would LOVE it. They are having on in October is San Diego. You need to go it's right up your alley and amazing. I loved every second of it. They had so much on health and toxins. Just thought I would tell you about it.

Terri Burges Hirning said...

We belonged to a co-op (Protea Produce) which was all organic, same suppliers as whole foods. It was a friend from a mom's group, her hubby is a naturopath and they started one. The big downside is that you don't get to choose your produce. We ended up wasting alot because it just was not what our family ate. I actually talked to T.J. at the Farmer's market, he is planning on starting one but you'd be able to CHOOSE your basket contents! That was just our experience, we ended up canceling after about a year because we just didn't eat all the stuff they gave us and still ended up having to shop. But, you are a lot more adventurous than we are so maybe it would be a better fit for you! Protea did a side by side comparison and they ended up being cheaper than Bountiful Baskets just as an FYI in case you want to compare too! Good luck!!

The Lees said...

That's awesome. I think I might have to try it. They have a pick up right by us too. Also, I made quinoa for the first time last night and loved it. Thanks!

Paula said...

I am waiting for my 1st basket. I ordered the day that you posted the info on your blog.I must be a true MOM, because I'm excited and can hardly wait for Saturday morning to come!