Monday, April 19, 2010

Inspiration

I am thankful for prayer. It takes over where my research books leave off. It tells me what is truth and what is made up in the world. It tells me where to go, where to look, what to do when I am stuck, when I need direction. Thank goodness I was taught this as a child. Thank goodness I know it works.

I have a problem with information overload. I read , and read, and read and read. You know, all the good stories like "The Yeast Connection", "Nourishing Traditions", "The Viscious Cycle" , "Nourishing Hope"and of course every story under the sun of autism and gut related topics. All the light , fluffy stuff. The reading leads me to research. New and better products, new research and new directions. The problem is , not everything is right for each person. Just because there is promising info about every new approach, it does not mean it is what that child needs. Frustrating.

So, a week ago I had a little late night conversation on my knees with my Heavenly Father. I am stuck. I don't know what to do with my Tate. He is doing so well and we have come so far but I don't know where to go from here. If this is as good as it gets, then I am completely happy with that but I don't think we are. We still have food allergies, leaky gut, little speech. There is more work to do. But...where to go from here. There are new things to try but I don't know if they are for him. I have read it all and researched everything I can get my hands on. Confused. I prayed, and prayed, and prayed and prayed. I was there by my self in my living room, on my knees well into the morning hours. I felt uninspired and decided to go to sleep. I woke up and the line that popped into my head was , "Let food be thy medicine." Minutes later my husband awoke. He started with the words "I feel inspired that Tate needs more food."

Hmmm. Inspiration. We feed Tate, I promise. I make it all myself. I grind the fresh gluten free grains, all organic , of course. He eats fresh fruits and veggies, smoothies and organic meats but there is more. I always believed that the Lord gave us all we need to be healed right here on this earth but we have only begun to understand how to use it properly.

Let food be thy medicine. What did that mean for my Tate? He needs more good fats. He needs more calories. I need to take the next step. The soaking , fermenting, sprouting. All the things that are time intensive but oh so necessary. I started pouring through the incredible book called "Nourishing Traditions" and it spoke to me. I needed to dive in and take it to the next level. I am there. It seemed so extreme to me before but it's funny how you can be ready at certain times for the next level of health. My son needs this. He needs more than what I am doing now. He needs to be fed on a different level.

You will be getting a lot of this info from me in the next posts I am sure. You may not at all be ready for those steps in your life. Start where ever you are. Start your mountain to climb at whatever step you are on. Just begin. Let food heal you. We should be able to get all of our nutrition from the nutrients around us and not need drugs or supplements but as a society, we are far from that. It is a sad situation we have all gotten ourselves into. We have to change it.

I soaked my muffins overnight last night, thanks to Kara Bagley's great class. (see her link to the right). They were delicious. You can check out her blog for all her great info and class schedule. She has recently taken it to the next level too and is a wealth of information.

I know I will get my Tater figured out. Because of him, I will be a better person. I will be able to share with you. I get email after email of struggles with health that moms are having with their children and themselves. It is sad. It is hard. We will all figure it out. Just get on your knees, ask for direction then go to work. No biggie, right? Ha.

From one of my early mentors, Dr. Henry G. Bieler, MD in his book "Food is your best medicine," he says:

"Nature (God), made man a generally perfect machine. But man,
through ignorance, fear and greed has thrown a monkey wrench into that machine.
Health is simple but few have it. Why? Because we do not give nature an opportunity
to reveal her story. Food, not drugs , is your best medicine."

15 comments:

diane said...

Thank you for this post.

Unknown said...

Prayer is amazing! I appreciate all your knowledge, help and support.

Explore & Grow said...

Healing Cancer from Inside Out by Mike Anderson is an amazing book on how to reverse cancer and many other diseases WITH DIET! I've experienced it in my own life. It works!

Kara said...

I am totally with you. There is so much information to sift through and it gets overwhelming because of all the deceit and conspiring men. I get strong impressions like that too and of coarse it is always specifically for my family.

I also find myself looking at something as extreme, only to return to it down the road...it is all in His time.

You will find as you start fermenting/soaking/sprouting that for every kitchen in the world, there is a different procedure on how it is accomplished! I am interested if you find anything on soaking in stainless steel bowls, please send it on.

Melissa said...

Shari you are awesome! I have read the book I just bought from you and feel so motivated to fix myself like I haven't before! I am so happy you are reading nourishing traditions. My sister is an avid follower of that way of eating and it has literally changed her life. If you ever want to talk to her, let me know - she has great recipes and has figured out a lot of short cuts and tricks to making it work! Good luck!

DK said...

I believe with all my heart that food is the best medicine...I just need to be better at implementing it :). Thanks for the inspiring words today!

Joyce said...

Thank you so much for this post! Your information and posts have been answers to my prayers to find the right things for me and my family. Thank you for being you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. Do you mind sharing the steps that you have taken with your son? We are struggling with some things with our 5 year old...speech is a huge one. Do you believe that changing the diet can really help with speech? I have read so much and I feel lost with what to do...thank you.

Shari Goodman said...

Oh man, how do I start with what I have done with Tate? Hmmm. Well, first off, YES, diet is huge for every issue because when there are allergies present or gut issues, the unbroken down proteins in gluten/casein act as an opiate to the brain and that can cause all sorts of short signals. Gut issues cause food to leak right into the blood stream and also cause problems. Then, if they become malnourished due to malapsorption, the brain doesn't get what it needs. In a nut shell.

In addition, chelation therapy to get out the heavy metals is important and supplementation with vitamins/enzymes/nutrients that he is lacking. B12 shots are big as well. We closely monitor him for yeast flare up and bacteria levels. When those are high, he is a totally different person.

Feel free to email me. Let me know what issues you are dealing with and I can give you more info. Each little person is different and finding out what they need specifically is the challenge. I always recommend starting with food. Huge! Then , always looking at yeast. Speech is finally coming for us at 5 years old but is slow. But, most other issues are now resolved.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help, you are so sweet. Is your son reading and writing? My 5 year old isn't yet (we are still working on tracing) and I am worried about that a lot. We are working with a therapist/tutor...but it just doesn't seem to be clicking yet.

Thank you so much!

RPH said...

You are so inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

You need to go on Oprah and tell the world what you do for your son. It would help so many.

Youre so great!

kami said...

i have also seen how we can be inspired as mothers to help our children. i have to thank you for what you're doing with this blog...it has inspired me and been an answer to my prayers and i'm so grateful for that!

i was so excited and was beginning to soak most everything before we found out we needed to go gluten free and that has kind of set me back. i haven't really been baking at all (i've been soaking my rice and quinoa) so i need to get excited again and figure out how to do it all gluten free (my problem is that i don't have a separate grain mill and it will be awhile before i can get one). i am glad you feel like soaking is the answer - that is totally my next step too.

thank you again!

Shari Goodman said...

Before I had a separate mill I just bought my flours. I love millet flour and bean flours. I made some muffins for tate the other night, soaking the millet flour in some lemon water and finishing up the rest in the am. I put in a tsp. of xanthan gum and used coconut oil for butter. They were wonderful and light! You can use any muffin recipe you have just adding the gluten free grains and xanthan gum. Mini muffins work best! Fun seeing you in the class! Also, try my Gelato-ish recipe for a great little ice cream treat for him.

Annabeth said...

Shari,
You are so right. Sometimes we're not ready to take the next step...it seems so extreme and consuming. But sooner or later we're ready for the next step.
Just this past week I soaked nuts for the first time, and last week made granola using soaked oats.
I've been perusing lots of sites about soaking vs. germinating and fermenting, and everyone seems to have different opinions.
I want to know that if I use acid water (from the alkaline water machine) do I have to use an acid medium (lemon/whey?)
Good for you in all that you do. Your boys and husband are incredibly blessed!

Shari Goodman said...

great job in starting to soak! I started with nuts also. I don't know about using the acid water, I haven't checked into that. I prefer kefir unless it calls for water, then I use lemon juice. And, I do have one beautiful girl among my sea of boys!