Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Can you say "Quinoa?"


The American Cancer Society states that 45% of all cancer is caused by the lack of fiber in our diet. In America, since we live on such a white flour , processed diet, our colons are suffering and as nutritionist say, death begins in the colon. Why? Well, if you have ever taken white flour and mixed it with a little water, you make paste. That is exactly what happens when you eat the white flour. It turns into paste and clogs up your system, ruining the digestive process and creating all kids of havoc. If you added water to whole wheat, the fiber will keep it from turning to paste. It will flow on through. If you are eating properly , food should exit the system within 24 hours. That means, yes, you should be "Pooping" at least once a day. If you are not, you are not healthy. Therefore, I will introduce you to a wonderful grain for my featured food of the week: Quinoa (Keen-wa).


Quinoa is a super grain that is used so very little in America but is widely used in other cultures. In fact, it is the main food of many Andes tribes which are known for their endurance. Quinoa can be purchased at Sprouts, and other health type stores. You can grind it in a grinder like wheat or cook it up like rice. You can then add it to salads for a little nutty taste. As flour, it has a bit of a strong taste so you want to use it in small amounts with other flours. I sneak it in to muffins, waffles, bread , etc. It is the most nutritious grain of all. It has a high level of lysine which helps maintain a lean muscle mass, helps produce antibodies and hormones and helps to keep the vascular system healthy. Take a look in your pantry, if you are living on a "White Flour" diet, make some changes today. You are what you eat. Who really wants to be paste?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try to incorporate this into our diets.

I wanted to tell you last Sunday, when Noah was throwing rocks at the church window, it was sure helpful to point out your husband as being a police officer/ SWAT (Noah wouldn't get the swat part) He stopped immediately. He then couldn't take his eyes off your husband until you were out of sight. He is now infatuated with the fact that he might have lots of guns and thinks your husband is soooo cool. Tell your husband thanks for helping me get my child under control last Sunday.
Kristin

I sent you an invitation to view my blog on your email.
Kristin

Cherstin said...

I knew white flour was bad i just didn't know why. never took the time to resurch. but I have tried to get off of white and use more wheat. now i'm going to try this new grain. i like that it helps produse antibodies. that would really help my kids. Thanks for all the info. you've helped me out more then you know.

Laurie said...

cool! I'm going to see if I can order it online.

KatieZ said...

I remember you used it for an enrichment in chocolate chip cookies. How do I prepare it to add it to the cookies? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
In the cookies, I used millett and I just cracked it in the blender. Quinoa would be a little strong in cookies.

KatieZ said...

Thanks, I'm a slow learner!

Angela said...

Okay so it was great to see you at the gym the other day. You look great. I just got a nutrimill (Happy Birthday from John). I am excited to start using it and would love some great recipes from some experts (like you). I am interested in the cookie one with millet in them especially.

Megan said...

If my colon could talk I think it would be telling me to get some...so I will!