Monday, January 21, 2008

The "Post its" are Back


Why does it seem that every morning, it seems to come as a surprise to my children that they have a job to do, the same job they have had to do for the past year? Why must they be asked 10 times at least to get it done? This seems to be the theme every morning this month. Contrary to what my children may think, I do actually hate to yell at them, and think it quite unfair that I am pushed to this point to simply get some work done. Therefore, the "Post it " system is back! This system was a little brain child of mine a year or so ago that revolutionized the way the morning ritual went in my house. We seemed to forget it so they will remember beginning tomorrow morning. Here's how it goes:
I no longer have to ask them to get the work done. They know what their jobs are and know that they must be completed before they go to school. If, by chance they do forget this very simple thing, when they return home from school, there will be a post it on the counter with their name and a harder job that must be completed before any food or privilege is to be received. That is in addition to whatever job they missed in the morning. I told them that I hope they forget their morning job because I have a really big job I need done in the afternoon that would really help me out. Well, it took only two days for them to figure out that doing the morning job was a lot easier. I didn't have to yell or even say one word. It worked like a charm, at least for a good year. We seemed to forget this game so they will remember tomorrow. Try it out! Our job is to teach our children responsibility, not to teach them to respond only when we get mad. We need to teach them that they work because they are part of a family not because they get money. We have to teach them that in the real world, Mom will not be there to tell them daily to get the work done! If they don't, they will loose jobs, fail classes and loose friends. That is life.

7 comments:

KatieZ said...

Love it! Do you have your young children do daily chores? Say, I don't know, maybe a 4 year old (Jack)?

Shari Goodman said...

I started my little ones out early. Good first jobs are unloading silverware, they like to match the utensils, cleaning baseboards with a sock on their hand to wipe away dust and organizing toy bins. Tate even unloads the cups and puts them on the counter for me now. They really can help even when they are little.

Cherstin said...

I can't believe your kids are up early enough to do there chores in the morning. we really just have enough timt to get ready, grabe something to eat and pray that we get there on time. we are night people. mornings are heard for everyone. I wanted to thank you for telling me about your son. I had no idea. My son Jaren was at some point being tested for Ashbergers(I'm not sure of the spelling) but sotped testing really before it started and we were just told it was ADHD. I still wonder if that's not the whole story. He is our most dificult child because it's more of behavior then illness. My boys that are sick, even though it can be stressful, at least we have treatments that help them to be normal. but there are no cures for behavioral things. and so you just have to keep trying and that can be very draining. I thank you though for trying to help us out. I'm going to let the Immunology team. know about it and see what they think. thanks agian.

Jenson Family said...

What a great idea! I need to try that for morning routine things: Brush teeth, get dressed, go potty, etc. because that is our biggest struggle! I'm definitely trying it! BTW I am LOVING your blog - it has a ton of great ideas that have been super helpful! So thanks!

Shari Goodman said...

Cherstin,

I need your email and number. I would love to talk to you about Jaren more. I have learned so much about ADHD and behavioral issues related to that. Tate used to be very angry until I understood more. My email is goodman-7@cox.net

Cherstin said...

My son Jarren is angry and upset a lot. Especially when Daddy is deployed. i'll email you!

Becky said...

I like this idea a lot.

Richard (on Becky's computer)