Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Hey Sugar! Whatcha eatin'?


I had a few friends over the other day and we were discussing what we feed our children for
breakfast. I am a big breakfast fan and never skimp in this area. We were talking about what we put on waffles which led me to later google a bit about sugar content in various toppings. At our house, we usually put fruit and a little real whipped cream. I am not a big dairy person but we do eat some, just not drink it at all. Anyways, I looked first at the sugar grams in Mrs. Butterworth syrup. A shocking 36grams in only 1/4 cup. In whipped cream, there is only 2 grams in 1/4 cup. Real Maple syrup has 50 grams but it isn't refined sugar so that is a whole different story. Real Maple syrup has a natural sugar that the body can recognize and easily process. It isn't toxic like white refined sugar. The recommended max. of sugar grams recommended per adult is 40 grams per day. If this is the case, how many are we already starting our kids off with per day just on breakfast alone? the 40 grams is added sugar, so not the natural sugar in fruits, honey or carbs. FYI, Fruit Loops has 13 grams per cup. But, hey, if you are eating all those red , purple and green food dyes, who really cares about the sugar!

Just a little food for thought.

6 comments:

wendilee said...

That is crazy about how much sugar is in everything. I never feed Porter Fruit Loops but I'm sure he is still getting too much sugar. What are some other healthy things you feed your kids for breakfast? I am always looking for new breakfst ideas. Especailly since I can't get Porter to eat eggs.

Melissa said...

I wished I liked maple syrup. I am afraid it's still butterworths or homemade buttermilk syrup for me. Darn sugar... it just taste so good.

Laurie said...

now why did you have to go and tell me that? Now I can't continue eating my waffles in my unknowing sugary bliss.

KatieZ said...

Shari, I just found your blog. Great ideas and comments. I'm excited for the enlightenment!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's nice to have a way to connect with eachother. It's been so long since we've seen you guys. a family reunion would be wonderful. I also enjoy reading your blog and your little tid bits to share.

Becky said...

Shari, I love your blog. You have such great advice!