Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dessert for Breakfast


I know most of you have a goal this year to get healthier and I am right there with you. It seems the healthier I get, the healthier I want to be and that equals more healthy-oriented goals. One this year for me is sprouting. I sprout my grains for flour but I am not very good at sprouting them for greens. I will be working on that and I will report all I learn!


If you are just starting this journey, I always tell everyone to start with breakfast. It is, after all, the most important meal of the day. If you only do one thing, let me suggest: GET RID OF CEREAL. Especially SUGAR CEREAL! Yes, it will take a little more time in the morning but ever so worth it. Send the kids to school without a sugar hangover. 


I admit I like my breakfast a little sweet. But, that doesn't mean I load on the sugar. Fruit is sweet and there are natural sweeteners. Try out these delicious baked apple wedges to feel like you have had a little dessert for breakfast. They are also great as a side dish or even a dessert. I serve them with a little whipped cream and with some eggs or yogurt. 




Baked Apple Wedges


3 T. sucanat
1/2 C. rolled oats
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ground ginger
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cloves
1/4 C. sliced almonds (soaked, dried and toasted is best)
4 large, crisp apples
1 large egg beaten with 1 T. milk or kefir


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Put everything except apples in blender or food processor and blend until there are just small crumbs, not powdered. 

Peel the apples and cut them into large wedges so they are about 1 inch thick. Dip them into the egg mixture and then roll them in the crumb mixture. Place them on a pan. Bake about 15-20 minutes or until fork tender, not mushy. Super yum. 

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Can't wait to try this! Want to try it tomorrow! Have you ever heard of Farro? I found some at costco yesterday. It says it is a kind of wheat, but that it has 7 grams of protein in one serving! Can you tell me more about this stuff?