Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Kefir Facts

When beginning to "kefir", it may seem a bit confusing. I found a great website that has about all the questions and answers that I could think of. I wanted to pass that along to you all. Just visit their site and click on the "learn" button.




http://www.yemoos.com/index.html




For those of you who have just started with water kefir, I wanted to make sure that you learn about types of water so you don't end up killing your grains. Thanks to a reader, she prompted me to let you know about water issues. Grains need minerals and water that has been stripped, like RO water or tap water with chlorine, will throw off the balance. You can use RO water but you should add in some calcium with either some Dolomite powder, lemon peel or part of a washed , pastured egg shell. I have heard of some conflicting things about Dolomite powder so I am using the lemon peel/egg shell method. So far, my RO water has been just fine. Anyone else have any input? I LOOOOVVVE my kefir. It really is so easy once you learn the tricks. I am still learning and still experimenting. They are still multiplying like the cats in my backyard so I think we are A OK for now.


Thanks for the tips ladies!


Want grains? I've got'em.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I add a pinch of celtic sea salt to restore the minerals to my RO water

Shea said...

Thanks for the info! I have actually already contacted you about getting grains from you, but I mentioned I didn't have the first clue what to do with them. I'm excited to read the link!