Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Beautiful Tomato.....


In a few weeks, I will have more than I can handle of these beautiful fruits. I have a garden full almost ready to harvest.This is my favorite gardening season because they are just so beautiful and taste so good in so many different recipes. I once hated these as a child but when I first grew them years ago, I developed a love for them since nothing compares to a garden tomato. Many of you may still have some left from your Bountiful Baskets or have a garden ready to bear fruit also. I thought I would share a few little facts and give you a recipe of one of my favorite fresh tomato dishes to use up the tomatoes you have.
One thing that I have recently learned about tomatoes is that they contain nutrients that actually protect your skin from the sun. I found this very interesting that the tomato is in season at the same time that the sun is more intense and we spend more time outside. We have been counseled to eat fruits and vegetables in their season. There just must be some wisdom in that. Think also about the orange, it comes in season at the start of the cold and flu season and it is loaded with Vitamin C that helps prevent these viruses from growing. Once again, we are provided with what we need to thrive and be healthy if we only partake.
Back to the tomato, it is also loaded with Lycopene which gives the tomato it's red coloring. Lycopene helps to prevent cancers, especially colon, prostate, lung and pancreas. Lycopene is more intense when you cook the tomato a bit which help break down the cell walls and release more of this nutrient.It is also better absorbed when eaten with a little fat. Tomatoes also contain Vitamin C and A. Eat Up!
Tomato and Basil Linguine
Boil pasta, about half bag. I like to use spaghetti, angel hair or linguine. Drain and rinse. In skillet, saute 4 cloves minced garlic in about 5 T olive oil or butter until just golden, do not burn! Add 3-4 chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil and saute until a bit saucy. I like my tomatoes still a bit firm but the kids like them cooked down a bit. Stir in 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Remove from heat when cheese melts. Add to pasta and add more olive oil as needed. Use as much pasta needed to catch the sauce. Start with a little then add as much as you want. Serve with extra Parmesan if desired and some great crusty bread.
One more recipe for those Bountiful Basket kids that need to use up those limes.... Here is a simple little dressing for a fruit salad.
Ginger Lime Dressing for Fruit
1/2 tsp ginger
1 T Honey
1/4 cups fresh lime juice
Mix and toss with tropical fruits. The lime will keep fruits from browning so you can make this ahead.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I made the Tomato and Basil pasta lastnight. Everyone loved it after they got over the "there's green stuff in it" and just tasted it. Even my three year old nephew who was over liked it. I did add grilled chicken breast cut into stips. (There's no meat in the dinner-Husband)It was good.
Thanks Shari!