Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sometimes a little "B" is all we need.....


I have looked back over my blog topics and can't believe that I have not blogged about this topic yet. It is usually the first thing I tell people about when they ask me any health questions and the one little thing that is always on my menu in the morning. It is the all powerful, all encompassing Super B Complex. You see, the B vitamins are the things that make everything else work in the body as they should. Unfortunately, we just do not get enough of these vitamins in our diets today. Not only because none of us eat perfectly but because even the good foods that we do eat aren't as nutritious as they were years ago. All of us need extra and the best part is that it is cheap. Real cheap. I buy the big bottle as seen above from Costco. I give it to all of my kids in the morning and I usually take a few extra at night as well. It is hard to overdose on B vitamins as extra is excreted from the urine. Just make sure that the kids know that their pee will turn bright yellow. This is a little something I forgot to tell my little ninos when I first started handing them out and my 8 year old thought he had a disease. Oops. If you don't know the facts, here is a little bit about the B family and why you too should be swallowing your Super B's in the morning:

The B vitamins are a group of 8 vitamins that aid the body in cell metabolism. Of course we all know that cell's are what make up our body so it is probably a good thing to keep them in shape and metabolising properly. The B's also keep our skin and muscle tone healthy, our immune and nervous system in check and helps us combat the stress and anxiety in our lives. When you are really stressed out, your body actually depletes itself of B vitamins so you should make sure you take extra at this time. For children with disorders such as Autism and ADHD, many times a huge culprit is the way their body handles their B vitamins. Almost all of the time, they need major B supplements. For my son, I inject him with B12 vitamins to help his body work properly. Without these vitamins, the system can't work right and the brain will then suffer. Anxiety levels and depression levels are greatly affected when we don't get the vitamins we need. Another great benefit of B's are that they help the metabolism to speed up to aid in a healthy and lean body. Who doesn't want all this? It is like a little miracle pill. Yes, you still need to eat foods rich in B's like lentils, bananas, tuna and potatoes, but we all need a little help. Grab a bottle. Pass it a round. Take care of yourselves ladies! I had a long day so I am off to take 2 B's and I'll blog you in the morning.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

What other vitamins or minerals to you take in a pill form?

Shari Goodman said...

My morning pills are super B complex, flax oil pill, multi vitamin and sometimes Emergen-c especially if I am tired or feel like I am getting something. I always take one during cold/flu season. I then take a super B at night. I am healthy so I don't need more than this.