Thursday, May 1, 2008

The All Powerful Coconut.....


I have been studying the coconut. I have always loved to eat it, love the Almond Joy, but I have never know what a truly amazing food source they are. It turns out, once again, that Western folks are the last to understand the healing power of this food. The Asians and Pacific Islanders have been regarding this food as the source of all healing. They even call the tree the "tree of life." Not only is it rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals, coconut oil also possesses healing powers beyond it's nutritional qualities. It is used as traditional medicine in other cultures to heal all kinds of ailments but is now actually being recognized here in the U.S. and the results are finally being published. Don't think your regular Dr. will ever tell you or prescribe you a good ointment of coconut oil, you need to read for yourselves.
Among some of the ailments treated with coconut oil are:
Abscesses, asthma, bronchitis, bruises, burns, colds, nausea, PMS, skin infections, baldness, constipation, cough, earache, flu, rash, weakness and sore throats.
There are published studies advocating that coconut oil can:
Kill viruses, bacteria, fungi and yeast, parasites. Boost energy, improve digestion, improve calcium and magnesium absorption, support immune system function, help with a healthy heart, increase metabolism, reduce psoriasis and eczema, prevent wrinkles and age spots, help fight chronic fatigue and tooth decay just to name a few!
Coconut Oil is different from other oils in that it has a different type of fatty acid chain. You hear about saturated and unsaturated fats. It has to do with the type of molecular chain of fatty acids. This oil has a medium chain which is different than most any other oils. This means that it is also digested in a different way. It actually helps cholesterol and helps you to increase your metabolism instead of storing this as fat. It also contains Lauric Acid which is an ingredients in mothers milk. That is why you will see coconut oil listed as an ingredient in many formulas. Also, when heated in cooking, it will not create toxins which many other oils do. It cooks well and can be interchanged in any recipe. You want to buy unrefined, organic oil if possible. It will be more of a solid at room temperature. If buying dried coconut, make sure it is unsulfured and unsweetened. I buy mine at Sprouts. If I am going to fry something, I will use canola or grape seed oil because this is expensive oil, but to cook with, I am switching to coconut oil.
I have been really reading up on skin care lately. I have been concerned with the amount of chemicals I put on my skin and my families. The skin absorbs these chemicals which is almost worse than eating them because the stomach cannot filter the toxins. Dr. Mercola admonishes that we should not put any lotions on our bodies that we cannot eat. I Can't currently think of a lotion I want to eat at the moment. I have been putting coconut oil on my little guy at night but wondered if I did would I get acne. Well, I did it and I can't tell you how much I love it. It sinks right in and my skin feels great! I am a convert. I first slather on the magnesium oil then top it with the coconut oil.
It all boils down to the same conclusion with everything regarding our bodies....The Lord has given us what we need. Humans have decided to try to make their own and in turn, they just create disease. If we stick to what grows and what is natural, we will be fine. It's time for me to go eat an Almond Joy. (Just Kidding, I don't think that coconut is really going to take away my wrinkles!)

5 comments:

Mary said...

Crazy, I've been reading about this oil for the last hour! I'm going to try it on my little guys eczema (too bad he's sleeping or I would apply it right now)! I will let you know if it helps. I also read this is great for those of us with acne! Question tough, i tired using it in my pancake mix (2 TBS) and it got all clumpy and wouldn't mix. any ideas? Thanks for the great info!

Shari Goodman said...

Try melting it first. If I am replacing a liquid oil in a recipe, I melt it. If replacing butter or shortening , use it in the solid form. You may also need to add a little more since it is thicker.

Natalie said...

Hi Shari! I changed my blog address so I could go public. Stop by and see what we're up to! happyhavoc.blogspot.com
Thanks for your blog, too! You are inspirational.
love, Natalie

Brian and Aubrey said...

Yes, coconut oil is awesome! If anyone wants to read more on it, I recommend a book called The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife. There is a great Coconut brownie recipe in it, as well as many others.

Paula said...

My husband has had eczema on his hands for a good 4 years. After reading your blog I bought some of the Coconut oil and he's been using it ever since. With much better results than with his RX. (Smells alot better also) Thanks for the info.