Sunday, May 18, 2008

What's In a Mushroom?????


Yesterday my Bountiful Basket came with a little brown lunch bag full of mushrooms. While I love the shrooms, it is the one food my children really protest. But, since I am determined to use all in my basket each week, I need to use these cute little fungi before they go bad. I must be cleaver, however and disguise them so that they give them a chance before they even notice what they are eating. I did a pretty good job of that tonight with some Beef Stroganoff. I haven't made this in a very long time but it was really pretty tasty. I will give you that recipe for those of you also looking at your little brown bag wondering too what to do with them. But first, here are some nutritional facts about what you should be eating, the all powerful mushroom.

First of all, the mushroom is a very low fat food. In 5 medium mushrooms there are only about 20 calories. Of course, I need mine sauteed in butter or oil so there goes those 20 calories! Mushrooms also contain 3 major B vitamins; Niacin , which helps the digestive and nervous system work properly; Pantothenic acid which aids in the production of hormones and Riboflavin which promotes healthy skin and good vision.
The mushroom also contains a very high amount of potassium. One 3 ounce portobello actually contains more than a banana. The shrooms are also the only produce with a significant amount of selenium. Selenium is an essential mineral important for immune and thyroid health. Researchers are just beginning to understand how wonderful these fungi are for the treatment and prevention of cancers.
I really had no idea how great these little buttons were. I thought since they weren't green that they must not really have much too them. Now I realize that these must be a bigger part of our diet. Once again, I am amazed that our solutions to our health problems are right here. Why does it take us so long to figure this out? So, all you hormonal women, guys with prostate problems and teens with bad skin, Go grab a handful of fungi today and enjoy a good omelet.

Beef Stroganoff

1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak or stew meat.
3 T. olive oil or grapeseed oil
1/3 cup diced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 pound fresh chopped or sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 to 2 Cups milk
1 tsp paprika
1 cup sour cream
Egg noodles

In large skillet, saute meat sliced into thin bite sized pieces in oil with garlic and onions. When no longer pink on the outside, lower heat and cover. Simmer for 25-35 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add water if needed. When tender, add mushrooms and cover again for about 10 minutes until tender. If you have ultra gel, just add the milk and paprika and thicken with ultra gel to desired consistency then add sour cream. Heat till warm but do not boil or you will curdle cream. Salt more if needed. If you don't have ultra gel, use dripping from pan and heat and stir in flour. Whisk in milk and thicken. Return to meat mixture then add sour cream. I added a little more garlic powder at the end. Serve over medium egg noodles.

1 comment:

The Lees said...

Yum. I think I am going to do the same thing, but with chicken. I guess it would be like a chicken a la king. We'll see if I can get the husband to eat the little fungi.