Monday, May 26, 2008

Burnt Toast.......


My daughter took this picture of me last fall swinging on a rope swing up at our cabin. It is now hanging on my fridge as a daily reminder that even when you are having one of those days, you know the kind where you tell the kids you are going to run away this time and you really mean it, that you just need to keep hanging on. I look at it all the time and remember the smile on my face, remember that life is good and that I need to take time to breath, smile, and keep swinging. Life is fast and crazy and I am learning that to maintain my sanity, I need to have a little break now and then. You see, I had the kind of mom that never took any time for herself. The kind of mom that never ever left us, never went on vacation and never ever complained. It was her job and she always looked to us that she loved it. So, when I became a mom, this is what I thought you did. Therefore, in 14 years of being a mom, I have left my children a whopping 4 nights, 3 of which were this last year. What I am learning is that it is necessary sometimes to get away and take a little time for yourself. That this makes you appreciate the little angels a little more and they can in turn appreciate you a little more. It was a rough year for me this last year and I have learned that I need some time for me. Just a little. There is a book by Terri Hatcher called no more Burnt Toast. The premise is that if a mom makes a batch of toast for the family and there is one burnt piece, she will give all of the good pieces to the family and she will take the burnt one. (Sound Familiar?) I will still probably keep eating the burnt one most of the time, but, from now on, I will make sure that once in a while, I will eat the good piece. I deserve that. I know most of you out there are in the same boat and need a good piece of toast like myself. I blog so much about taking care of our children which is the most important job we have, but....if we as moms aren't taken care of, we just might have nothing to give. We need to make sure that we have a little time for ourselves, make sure that we feed ourselves the good things too and get some exercise and rest. We owe it to our children and to our husbands and to ourselves. I always thought this was being selfish, 14 years and a near break down has taught me otherwise. So, ladies....anyone up for a cruise! (No kids allowed)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahoo, I totally agree!!! 100% Taking time for yourself is the best medicine for motherhood. So don't feel bad about it. It's making you a better mom!
Kristin
p.s. I would love to go crusin'

Tracey said...

Amen! Your an awesome mom - Shari!

Laurie said...

I think I have you beat! I think I've left my kids once in 10 years and that was when I only had one! Crazy! What am I thinking!?

Domestic Bliss & FOUND said...

Shari-
Perfectly said!
K

Melissa said...

I love that picture of you. You look way to good to be in the mountains.

I have a husband that makes sure we get away once a year for a few nights. I always kind of stress about it before, but I am always glad that I went.

KatieZ said...

Thanks for the pep talk. I agree completely. I love taking those quick get-aways! You do need to get out more...4 nights...wow!

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to read this blog. I am a firm believer that you should get away once a year with your husband, at least for a few nights, and just spend that alone time together. It is tough to do - to arrange, to prepare, and to let go - I know. But it is so worth it. We've done it almost every year for 12 years, and it has made a world of difference for us. And sometimes those girls-only getaways are just what we need too. A little girl bonding time. Good luck!!!

tiffany knox said...

Loved this post! I have been through a lot lately and I need a break. I dont know how to get one but I am mentally there with you. you're amazing. you look so amazing shari! I want to be just like you. I think we have more in common than you realize you're fantastic!

Banks Family said...

Call me, I would love a girl trip. I don't get away as much as I would like but atleast I exercise and put the kids in daycare...that is my saving grace these days. Three boys under 4 that has been a trying time for me!! You haven't aged..must be your good living.

S. Fillmore said...

Shari you are so right. I eat a lot of burnt toast too! We should do more than our once a year meeting at the Christmas party. Stephanie Fillmore