Thursday, May 8, 2008

Safe Food Friday



Jason's Deli is a great sandwich and salad shop in Mesa with chains popping up in other locations. I have been totally impressed with their menu and great salad bar but my mom emailed me about their new signs in the restaurant. Check this out..... Hanging over the salad bar it reads " Real Salad Bar...No high fructose Corn Syrup, No MSG, No bad fats." They also have a "Real Food Menu" and have organic produce and whole grains. They even have a soda fountain beverage made with pure cane sugar! Imagine that! Way to go Jason's Deli! You have my business! Now won't you just build one in Gilbert?
Another E.H. April Heymore, my regular Safe Food Friday email buddy, advocates a deli in Scottsdale called "Dish" She said they have great artisan breads, with great ingredients and jams and jellies with just the basics. Just FYI for any of you on that side of town.
I wish more restaurants would take the time to provide nutrition. Let's all support them.
I have to leave you this weekend with another breakfast recipe that I haven't made in a while, but is one of my favorite pancakes (yes, another favorite!) with a little twist.
Cottage Cheese Apple Pancakes
1 large or 2 small apples, grated and peeled
1/2 cup small-curd cottage cheese
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 T. maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
Peel, core and grate apple into mixing bowl. Mix in cottage cheese, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, syrup and salt. Sprinkle in the flour and baking powder and stir well. Butter or oil skillet and cook on medium heat.
Have a great weekend! Thanks for all of you who have shared recipes with me. I am hoping to get a recipe book together over the summer so if any of you have a recipe you think is just delish, pass it on. Thanks to all who signed up for my childrens cooking classes. The first date is full but I have a couple slots in the last two if any are interested.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Good to know of a great place for lunch.

The Lees said...

I love Jason's Deli! Although, I was pregnant the last time I ate there, and let's just say it didn't sit well...resulting in one of my most embarrasing moments ever. Thanks for reminding me.

Tracey said...

I'm so excited to try Jason's Deli. Thanks for letting us know about it.