Sunday, May 4, 2008

Happy Cinco de Mayo!



I love any reason to have some good Mexican food! We are going to celebrate a day early because I just feel like fajitas today! We will have an Italian Cinco de Mayo tomorrow. (Anyone help me out with the Italian term for cinco de mayo?) Since I had some great ingredients in my harvest basket yesterday, I made some salsa and my chicken is marinating. I thought I would share those recipes with you, the breakfast recipe will just have to wait. They are so easy and very healthy and low cal.

Salsa (courtesy of Ashlee Leseuer)

3 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 bunches green onions ( I use whites and half the green)
1 bunch cilantro
8 jalapeno slices , from can. (more if you want spicier salsa)
Juice of one lemon
1 tsp salt

Put all in blender, chopping onion and cilantro a little first. Blend until still chunky but well mixed. Refrigerate. Don't add extra ingredients until it sits for a while. It gets spicier.

Fajita Marinade (courtesy of Milena Cooper)

2 T fresh lime juice
1/2 t chili powder
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 T soy sauce
1/4t ground cumin

I doubled this and marinaded about 1 - 1 /2 pounds chicken into strips. Marinade at least 2 hours or overnight. You can marinade the whole breast and grill also or in strips and saute. Serve with peppers and onions and salsa and any other great toppings.

Happy Cinco de Mayo to you all!

I am looking for a great fresh tomato salsa recipe as my garden is about ready to be picked. If you have one, or any other great recipes for fresh tomatoes, pass them my way please!

3 comments:

Terri Burges Hirning said...

I have a great salsa recipe for you:

Tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno (or habanero if you like it hot), garlic and some salt. Chop all and mix in a bowl, add salt last because it will make the tomatoes really release their juice. You can tweek the amounts based on your own likes (we LOVE cilantro but go easy on onions). Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Texas Caviar This is delish!!
1 pkg frozen white corn
1 can black beans
1 can blackeyed peas
2 green bell pepper
1 purple onion
8 roma tomatoes
1 sm bottle wishbone italian dressing
1 bunch cilantro
chop: tomatoe,bell,onion,cilantro mix all ingredients together. eat with tortilla chips. This is a fav. in the Switzer home

Paula said...

I made the Fajita Marinade (with the fresh limes from my basket) last night and it was a hit. I sauted bell peppers and onion (from my basket) it was very yummy & easy. Thanks